- Grade II Listed Building External Refurbishment.
- Stucco render repairs
- Roof repairs
What did Sydney Street require?
Sydney Street is a five storey, mid terrace, grade II listed building situated in the heart of Chelsea which is now split into 3 separate flats required external works, due to weathering. The front façade of the property in particular was in need of restoration due to the close proximity of the heavily trafficked road. Sections of render were crumbling, the windows and paint work needed attention and the roof required various repairs.
What did MC Designers do?
M C Designers were awarded the tender as main contractors, the scaffold was erected and the building was jet washed from top to bottom.
MC Designers then completed the following:
- Hammer testing highlighted large areas of the stucco render that had blown. All loose friable material was cut back and prepared and a specialist stone mason was contracted to complete the repairs and rebuild the detail sections in keeping with the original works to a high quality finish.
- The mortar between the brickwork was tested and raked out by hand to a minimum of 25mm, the areas were then washed down and new mortar was applied taking care to match the colour of the original.
- The sliding sash windows had various problems with rotting timers and general poor condition. Profiles of replacement timbers were taken, then manufactured at our joinery workshop and spliced in as required. Broken sash cords were replaced and the windows were eased prior to priming
- The pitch slate roofs had a number of slipped and cracked tiles and some of the batons had eroded so all tiles were removed, new batons were fitted where required and approximately 250 new slates were replaced.
- The Zinc & lead flashings were replaced and the coping stones were carefully removed, cleaned and re-set.
- The small felt covered tank room was stripped back and a new Euro Polymer 3 layer felt was fixed, complete with a 15 year guarantee.
- All windows had the existing sealant removed, sanded, filled and undercoated prior to having 2 coats of Dulux Trade Weathershield exterior gloss and new Arbomeric MP20 sealant.
- The Stucco render and other painted masonry was filled and primed and then painted with 2no coats of Dulux Weathershield smooth masonry paint.